When Calendar4Schools is integrated with CMS4Schools there are two tools in CMS4Schools that interact with the Calendar4Schools application, the Calendar of Events tool and the Facility Request tool. The Calendar of Events tool, one of the original CMS4Schools tools, has been modified to provide the option of pulling events from either the CMS4Schools Calendar Admin/Link4Learning calendars or the Calendar4Schools calendars. The Facility Request tool provides an interactive form that allows registered users to make a facility use request via your public website.
To display Calendar4Schools calendars on a CMS4Schools web page:
From your CMS4Schools Navigation Builder, on the page where you want the calendars to display, add a Calendar of Events tool, or edit an existing Calendar of Events tool.
The portion of the screen shot inside the red border is the new option in the Calendar of Events tool. When the Calendar4Schools radio button is selected two additional options will expand. Choose to display all of the Calendar4Schools calendars or selected calendars. If sub-categories exist, the complete list of sub categories can be displayed by clicking the “+” sign in front of the word sub-categories. When displaying only selected categories check the boxes of the specific calendars you wish to display on that web page.
Click the Update button when you are done to save you work.
To display a Facility Request Form on a CMS4Schools Web page
From your CMS4Schools Navigation Builder, on the page where you want the facility request form to appear, add a Facility Request (Calendar4Schools) tool. Enter the email address(es) of the people who should be notified that a user has registered on the facility request form and needs to be approved/denied. The email address(es) of those who need to be notified when a facility use has been requested is controlled by a Calendar Admin in the Toolbox section under Buildings and/or Facilities. Click the Submit button to place the tool on the page.
When previewing the page, you will see what is shown in the screen shot above.
This interface provides a login to access a Facility Request Form and a place for unregistered users to create an account enabling them to login. When a public visitor clicks on the link Create an account the window below opens. When the visitor clicks the Register button, an email is sent to the email addresses that were entered into the Facility Request tool as shown in the second screen shot. The visitor will receive an email which will confirm or deny the request. There is room for the person approving/denying the registration to add a comment to the email explaining the decision. If approved, the visitor may then login . The Facility Request tool provides a Forget Your Password link so a registered public user can retrieve their own password by entering the email address they used when they registered.
Creating a User Account to Make Facility Requests via a CMS4Schools Web Page
To get login credentials to make a Facility Request fill in the form shown above. All information except the "Reason for Access" is required. Accounts created via this form are stored in the Public Users Database.
Once a registered user logs into the Facility Request Form, the interactive form shown on the two screen shots above (form too long for single screen shot) will display on the web page. When the registered user fills out the form and clicks the submit button, an email is sent to the person(s) in charge of approving the request. The registered user will receive an email which will confirm or deny the reservation. There is room for the person approving/denying the reservation to add a comment to the email explaining the decision or relaying pertinent information.
- Event Title – this is the text that will display in the calendar. Required
- Event Date – this field is populated by the date you clicked on to create the event. However it is possible to change the date here if you realize you have chosen the incorrect date for the event. Click into the box next to the displayed date and a mini calendar will open. Select the desired date from the mini calendar. Required
- Time – key in or use the “time picker” to easily select the start and end times. Required
- Category & Subcategory– select the Category/Subcategory (Not all Categories will have Subcategories) from the drop-down list to which the event will belong. Optional
- Building - choose a building from the dropdown list. Required
- Facility - choose a facility from the drop down list. Required
- Check Usage - use this link to see if there are any events already scheduled for this facility at the time you are requesting. While not required, it will save you time if you find the facility is already scheduled for use.
- Facility Notes - add any information needed for the facility set up. Do you need the baskets in the down position, need chairs, need a specific door unlocked ...?
- Begin and End Times - these may be different from the event time because of setup and take down times. Note: Multiple facilities can be requested.
- Attach Another Facility - Use this link if your event requires more than one facility. Repeat steps 6-9.
- Resource Use- select the appropriate radio button. If yes, the form will expand to let you reserve one or more resources. Resources are things like projectors, athletic equipment, chairs and so on.
- Description of Event - this will appear when the event is clicked on in the calendar, assuming the event is approved. Optional
- Recurrence - schedule multiple occurrences of the event. Use Daily, Weekly or Monthly if the event recurs with a pattern or use Select Your Dates if the dates do not follow a set pattern.
- CAPTCHA has been added to prevent unwanted internet bots from accessing website. Key in the text you see in the image.
- Click the Submit button.
Email Received by the Person Submitting the Facility Request
The email acknowledges that the request was received and that it will be processed.
Giving Calendar4Schools Users Permission to Approve Facility Requests
To give a Calendar4Schools user permissions to approve facility requests, edit the building and/or facility and key in the email address(es).
Approving/Rejecting Facility Requests
When you receive an email indicated that there are facility requests to be approved, log into Calendar4Schools.
In the Facility Requests drop down click on Approve Facility Requests.
- Choose either Approve or Reject radio button.
- If approved, assign the appropriate calendar category or subcategory from the drop down list.
- In the case of requests that contain multiple dates, you can approve some of the dates and not others. If you are approving any of the dates be sure the Approve radio button is selected in the first column. Then, in the Event Date column, uncheck the dates that are not approved. Only the dates with the boxes checked will be added to the calendar.
- In the Decision Comments area add an appropriate comment.
- Click the SUBMIT button. The request will be removed from the approval list and all approved dates will be added to the appropriate calendar category.
If the Reject radio button is selected there will be no check boxes in the Event Date column and no dates will be added to the calendar.
Printing Facility Requests
- Key in or select dates from the mini calendars for the date range you wish to see.
- Use the filters to limit which buildings and categories you want to view.
- Choose which details you want to include.
- Choose to print or save a PDF to share electronically.
This video segment contains step by step instructions on how to use the Facility Requests section of Calendar4Schools. In addition, you will learn about how CMS4Schools is used as the public tool to view Calendar4Schools data and request facilities.