They add their classes and assign grade levels to them. The assigned grade levels are important to provide flexibility in displaying assignments on the main website pages as well as allowing the teacher to check on the number of Major homework assignments already scheduled by other teachers in their building.
Using the My Homework Admin calendar, the faculty member adds assignments just the way events are added in the Calendar Admin. The faculty side Homework Listing tool will only display assignments created by the faculty member. However, the tool allows the teacher to specify which classes/subjects to display, so all classes could be displayed using a single tool or they could have individual class pages displaying only assignments from one class. For example, a faculty member could create a 'Homework page' that displays all assignments for all their classes OR they could create a 'Homework page' for each class or subject they teach and display only that class's assignments.
To accommodate "project" types of assignments that have several days between the day it is assigned and the due date, a checkbox allows the faculty member to have the assignment and any attachments to the assignment display each day without using the "Recurrence" options. The recurrence options are used for adding separate assignments that occur at a regular interval, such as Journal Entries which are treated as individual assignments. If a recurring assignment has a due date, the next day each recurrence will have the due date one day after the assigned date.
Access My Homework Admin
Click on the Homework Admin link on the My Faculty Administration toolbar along the left side to display the Homework Admin calendar. Before you can add any assignments you will need to add your classes/sections using the Edit Classes/Sections link below the calendar filters.
Edit Classes / Sections
- Add Class/Section: Opens the Add Class/Section screen where you can add an additional class/section.
- Back to My Homework Admin: Brings you back to the My Homework Admin.
- Grade(s): Indicates the grade(s) for the class/section name
- Update: Update the Class/Section
- Delete: Delete the Class/Section. You will only be able to delete a class/section if you don't have any future homework/assignments for the class/section.
- Class/Section Name: Enter the name for the class section. (You may want to make a new class for each section in case a section does not meet when the others do.)
- Grades: Check appropriate grades. (This is important for displaying assignments on the main website side. You would check all the grades levels possible for students attending that class.)
- Active: Check the Active checkbox. Removing the check at a later date would let you save the class for another term without deleting the class and having to recreate it. Inactive classes will not display in the Homework Listing tools.
Click the Add button.
Add an Assignment
You will add assignments for all classes to the calendar within your faculty My Homework Admin. On My Homework Admin, select the day you would like to add an assignment to open the Add Assignment screen.
- *Assignment: This is the text that will appear in the homework list tool describing the assignment.
- *Class/Section: Choose the class/section for the assignment from the dropdown list.
- *Assignment Date: The date will pre-populate based on the date selected from the My Homework Admin, but you may enter a different date if desired.
- Due Date: The due date for the assignment.
- Daily Display: Select this checkbox if you are creating a single assignment or project that spans a few to several days and you want the assignment to be displayed each day.
- *Homework Type: Select the appropriate homework type from the dropdown list. When the assignment is a Major type as defined by the main website admin, a Check for Other Major Homework link will appear so you can check on other “Major” type assignments made at the same grade level.
- Description: Use this field to provide further clarification for an event. For example, you can enter the main contact for the event with an email address. To view this description, Website users will need to click on the event on the calendar.
- Attachments: Documents that provide additional assignment information may be attached to this event. You can click on the Add Another Attachment link if you need to add more than one attachment.
- Links: URLs may be attached to this event. You can click on the Add Another Link option if you need to add more than one URL.
- Recurrence: Each radio button (except None) when chosen will display options for the recurrence.
Check for Other Major Homework
You can look through other major types of homework to determine if you may be overloading your students with assignments that will have a large impact on their grades.
Add a Homework Listing Tool
In the CMS4Schools My Faculty Administration | My Navigation Builder click on the Main Body content of the page where the Homework Listing Tool will be displayed.
- Add Tool to this page: Select Homework Listing from the list
- After: Choose the position of the tool. The default is at the bottom of the page. The first tool added will only have the "Place at top of page" option. When there is more than one tool, select the item you want to add the tool after.
- Select Add to add the tool to the page.
Homework Listing Tool Options
- edit: Add/edit/remove tool heading, change tool status to inactive/active, or schedule a status change. See the Tool Heading and Status article for more details.
- Edit This Homework Listing's Properties: This opens the Update Homework Listing screen.
- Change Position: Change the position of the tool on the current page
- Move: Change the location of this tool to another page by selecting the desired category and page
- Preview: Opens a new tab to preview the page
- Delete: Deletes the tool from the page
Update Homework Listing
Homework Listing Tool Display
- The classes/sections selected to display in the homework listing tool will be listed. In this case only Biology was selected.
- The current date is the default. Visitors can enter a different date if desired.
- Choose which homework types of assignments to display. If none are checked all types will display.
- Click the Search button to display the list of assignments. Viewers will see the Assigned Date, Class, Due Date, and the Assignment.
- Use the previous and next options to move backward and forward one week at a time.
- Select "+ Daily Assignment" to expand the assignment and read the description and access any attachments or links that may have been included in the assignment.