A D-U-N-S number is a nine digit number that is used to uniquely identify a business or organization. The numbers are managed by Dun & Bradstreet and used to identify an organization's creditworthiness and bids on government contracts, among other things. Your D-U-N-S number - along with the legal name of your organization - is required to create an Apple Developer Account (ADA).
Looking Up an Existing D-U-N-S Number
If your organization already has a D-U-N-S number, you can look it up.
- Enter the legal name of your organization and the state in which your organization is registered, then click "Search".
- Find the primary location of your organization (it should be labeled as "Single Location" or "Headquarters").
- Click "Email D-U-N-S® Number".
- Enter your name and email address, then click "Submit".
You will receive an email from from Dun & Bradstreet within a few minutes that includes your organization's full legal name and D-U-N-S number.
Creating a New D-U-N-S Number
If your organization does not already have a D-U-N-S number, you will need to create one.
- Select "I have a U.S. based business" as your primary reason for registration.
- Enter your organization's legal name and address, then click "Search".
- This will show a list of businesses with similar addresses or names to the ones you have entered. This is done as a precaution to ensure that you do not try to create two D-U-N-S numbers for the same organization.
- Verify that your organization does not appear in the list of businesses that already have a D-U-N-S number, then click "Get a New D-U-N-S Number".
- The screen that appears will list a few services that Dun & Bradstreet offers. Find the free option (it will be named "D-U-N-S Number + CreditSignal"), then click "Get Started".
- Enter your name and email address, then click "Register".
- This will become the primary email for your Dun & Bradstreet account. You will receive an email in 1-2 minutes from Dun & Bradstreet with a temporary password that you can use to set up your account.
- Log in with the temporary password.
- It will ask you to create a new password; do so and click "Update".
- Complete the form detailing your organization's information.
- Upload two documents that have your organization's name and address clearly displayed (like a utility bill or bank statement).
- Click "Submit"
Dun & Bradstreet should email you your new D-U-N-S number within five business days.